Gusty Sailors halt Havelocks’ winning run

Havelocks docked into Welisara with the spirit and hope of going back with a third win but Navy upset their plans and turned tables with a commanding 25 points  to 14 points win, to end the Park Clubs’ unbeaten record.

The Sailors scored from two goals, a try, a penalty and a drop goal while the Havies’ points came from two goals, scored in either halves. At halftime Navy led by 22 points with two goals, a try and a penalty to 7 — a goal.

The game that started off with Havelocks attacking. In the fourth minute an infringement by the Navy winger Supun Dilshan saw him getting a seat on the bin as a result of a yellow card. Spurred by that Havelocks scored through flanker Shenal Deelaka and Riza Mubarack converted to lead 7-0.

Navy hit back in the 14th minute as centre Muhsin Faleel touched down for Thilina Weerasinghe to convert as scores were levelled at 7-all. Full back Thilina Weerasinghe kicked right again to stretch the Navy score to lead 10-7, a penalty that came in their favour.

A forward push was completed in the 24th minute with prop Lahiru Wiswajith scoring. Weerasinghe added extra points as Navy went ahead to lead at 17-7. This was followed by lock forward Supun Pieris planting a try but Weerasinghe failed to put it through the posts. Scores 22-7.

With the game shamming into the break in the 35th minute Havelocks lock forward Sharo Fernando was given the card to spend 10 minutes in the bin for a dangerous stiff arm tackle as the Sailors took lemons with their heads held high.

In the 10th minute of the second half Weerasinghe failed to kick right a penalty awarded to Navy. Impatient Navy flanker Danushka Perera was reported by the Assistant Referee for foul play which earned him time to cool down for ten minutes. From around the 20th minute Havelocks had their chances of running the ball into Navy territory but lost it at the breakdown or lost it on a turnover.

Navy recovered and ran in and off a breakdown Weerasinghe positioned well to drop goal to extend the lead at 25-7 while playing with 14 in the 21st minute.

Around in the 27th minute Havelocks made a series of moves inside Navy territory but was bundled into touch. Havelocks had possession were roaming in Navy territory but failed to penetrate and score. Frustration sweeping in and probably reminding the match that Navy threw away last week against CR. Navy made some silly mistakes and in the melee Navy Hooker Dulanjana Wijesinghe was shown the yellow for a high tackle in the 37th Minute.

Kevin Dixon out the finishing touches for Havelocks to record a consolation try which was converted by Mubarak from a point close to the touch line as Navy sealed the win without much fuss. With Kandy playing Army in Kandy today, the outcome will decide on the table leaders while the rest of the table is opened for a tough competition in the next few matches of the first round.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.